Friday, July 31, 2009

Lessons from the Day...

1. Always carry your cell phone
2. Always carry a diaper bag
3. AAA is the worth it
4. Have a baby with you

Let me explain...

B and I took Ella to the vet this morning for her yearly visit. The plan was to drop her off around 7:30am and then come home, eat breakfast (both B and I), go for a walk, do laundry, clean the house, take a shower, get Owen dressed etc.

This is what happened...

B and I dropped Ella off and walked back to the car. I put B in his car seat, put the stroller in the trunk, and then got myself into the car, buckled up, put the key in the ignition...and NOTHING! The car wouldn't even turn over...so I reach over to get my cell phone to call Chad and....NO CELL PHONE! I had forgotten it as Ella, B and I rushed out of the house this morning, I had the diaper bag...but not the phone. So I unbuckled, got B out, walked back up to the vet's office, knocked on the door, waited for someone to open the door and asked if I could use their phone...lesson #1.

I tried calling Chad, but couldn't get a hold of him so I called AAA...lesson #3. I explained my dilemma to a kind woman at the other end of the line and she dispatched a tow truck to come meet me in the parking lot...in an hour. She told me that they would call when they were close, I had to give her the vet's number and admit to not having my phone. At that point I realized that Owen had not eaten, he was still in his pajamas (because I thought it was going to be about a 20 minute trip to the vet) and I hadn't eaten or had my morning coffee. There is a Target not too far from the vet so Owen and I walked to the Target to get some coffee, water and breakfast all while trying to be quick because the tow truck driver couldn't call me and I didn't want to miss him. We rushed back to the vet and....waited...and waited...and waited. The kind people at the vet offered to let us sit inside but I was concerned that we would miss the tow truck, so we sat outside on the sidewalk. I realized that I had unintentionally left a bottle with powder formula in Owen's diaper bag...I was able to add water to it and then feed him, hoping that it would hold him over until we were able to get home....lesson #2.

The tow truck arrived about an hour later. The driver looked under the hood of my car, tested the battery and said "Ma'am, it's your battery...it's dead. " So I asked, "Can you charge it?" and he said, "I will try." He goes on to try and we both realize that the battery is so dead it won't hold a charge, he then went on to tell me that he could sell me one. He went back to his truck to get a new battery and realized he didn't have one, so I asked "Can you tow us?" He replies, "No, you'll have to call AAA back and get another tow truck to come out." At this point, I try to be as polite as possible and thank him for his time and walk back into the vet to use the phone. Long story short, we have to wait another hour and a half at the vet on the sidewalk waiting for another tow truck. When the tow truck arrived, the driver helped me get Owen (in his car seat) up into the cab of his truck (Owen's first big truck ride)...and then preceded to put the car onto the truck's bed with a massive hydraulic system. The driver asked where I wanted to go...I tell him where the previous driver had told me and he responds "That place will sell you a battery, but they won't put it in...you know that right?" Of course, I didn't know that. He preceded to tell me that he could take me there and that he would put the battery in for me, even though he isn't supposed to to things like that and that I can just tip him really well...I smile, say thank you for the offer and suggest going to another place...he shook his head and said "Okay, you'll pay more there!".

We finally arrived at the auto store to learn yet again...that my battery was completely dead! The polite man told me that it would be about two and a half hours to have the battery put in, that they didn't have a battery and would have to go and get one at another store, I panicked a little...thinking that Owen hadn't eaten in about three hours, not to mention he was still in his pajamas. The man must have seen the panic in my eyes, when he saw Owen he said "Just one minute." He left for a minute, came back and told me "We found a battery and we will try to get it in stalled in a few minutes"...lesson #4. I felt bad, there were about four customers in front of us...but they didn't have hungry babies!

15 minutes later, I was given the bill for an entirely too expensive battery...but I had a car that was able to turn over and drive us home.

All in all it has been quite a morning...I will never forget my cell phone at home again, I will always carry the diaper bag with me, I will gladly renew our AAA membership next year and I will continue to be so grateful for our little guy!

1 comment:

JJC said...

bless your heart! i know i've pressed my luck several times by not taking the diaper bag with me...or for not having it stocked very well. one unfortunate evening at cheddar's comes to mind. thank goodness our other diners had a baby, too!

and thank goodness that all ended up well for you and owen. good for you for keeping cool through the whole ordeal. :)